These are some of the essential things you need to know as you are preparing to embark on your cruise.
- On the first day of the cruise, you should pack a carry-on bag with all your travel documents, some spare clothes to change, swimming suit, gym clothes and medications if you need them. This means that you will not have any problems should there be a delay in your checked bags arriving in your stateroom.
- If you have not been to the departure port before, you should check the website of the cruise line to get directions to the pier. Learn all the directions and instructions so that you can have an easy time while traveling. It is advisable that you keep the directions with your travel documents on your carry-on bag so that you can access them easily.
- You will need about one and half hours before checking in so that you can go through security. The amount of time you will have to wait differs depending on the number of staff members available and the time for boarding. If you delay by an hour during scheduled departure, you will be considered as forfeiting your trip and your reservation is cancelled. So you will be charged for cancellation penalties.
- You can come with your friends and relatives at the port to see you off. However, they may not be allowed to get on the ship at any port for security reasons. The cruise lines will tag your luggage so that your bags do not get lost in transit. The tags have your name and stateroom number. The tags vary from one ship to another and have the ship name on them so that they can be easily identified.
- On some cruise lines, you can get membership after cruising with them. You can sign up for membership during your first cruise or afterwards. There are perks to having memberships and you can get first priority during check-in.
- The first time you get onboard, you should check out the stateroom assigned to you. Go through the cruise line publications and get a list of the activities and dining options before or after embarkation.
- If there are children in your travel party, you should check the cruise line programs for children. The program staff members can also guide you to know the rules and procedures that will be used to take in children into the programs. You should choose a spot on the ship where your whole family can meet up should you be separated in the course of the cruise.
- If you wish to attend the spa or fitness class, you should make appointments on the first day to avoid losing a chance on the popular treatments. If you are hungry after unpacking, you can go to one of the open dining rooms and get something to eat.
That’s it, your holiday has begun!